Wednesday 18 February 2009

Arthur's Seat


No, I'm not talking about the episode of the ever-popular PBS program "Arthur" in which Francine tries to take Arthur's seat. Today, I went out to see Scottish Parliament and ended up walking around Holyrood Park, home of Arthur's Seat. This installment will focus on photographic evidence of my day, as I am not entirely thrilled at the prospect of writing too much.

So... Parliament. It was closed, so I couldn't go inside. The outside was neat, though.

Note: The flags in this photo are conspicuously still. Today was easily the nicest day of the new year in Edinburgh. It must have been easily over 50 degrees (maybe even 60 once the sun came out. yep... the sun). The sun came out once I was about half-way up the hill. More on that later.

So, I hiked up the hill and took lots of photos overlooking Parliament, Calton Hill, the Castle, the Firth, and other various landmarks. When I began, the clouds had begun to peel away across the Firth of Forth and I was very lucky to have found myself at the top just as the sun landed upon the city of Edinburgh. Of all the people I could have asked to take my photo, of course I approached the ONE who spoke very little English. I had been passing loads of Scottish people who were totally viable candidates. Nope. I chose the other guy. He was great, though. A dog jumped up on me. It was a chocolate lab puppy, so it was ok. Probably the best-looking dog I've seen besides Danny-son.

I also took some video, so hopefully I can attach that here:







3 comments:

  1. Wow, clicking on the pic really helps! These are beautiful! Any idea when Spring happens? when will the trees leaf? There was an audible "awwww" when I read the quote from Hugh. Can you take pics of that little white flow'r when you see them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, did you sit on Arthur's Seat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good to hear your voice. Hadn't heard it in a while. Sounded pretty flippin' good!! Lv, Alison

    ReplyDelete